Foenix IDE - Rev C

Description of your first forum.
Matej

Re: Foenix IDE - Rev C

Post by Matej » Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:32 am

Grenouye - Can I help You with Tracker GUI, icons, also ideas? I own chipmusic forum. I am into 8bit/fm music almost 10 years. Also know author of Adlibtracker2.
grenouye

Post by grenouye » Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:27 am

frenchguy wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:47 am
grenouye wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:22 am
frenchguy wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:57 pm
Hi,
Is there support for mouse implemented in the IDE ? I do not get break on mouse interrupt. I also do not see modification in the reg0 about the mouse interrupt. I am using the IDE with default provided Kernel, and start the kernel before load and running my program.
And is it compatible with 800x600 resolution of Vicky II ?
The mouse support in the IDE doesn't raise interrupts. The value of the X and Y positions are stored in the in Vicky addresses $AF:0702 and $AF:0704, respectively. This allowed for testing of the drawing of the mouse pointer.
This was much simpler than imitating the SuperIO chip. Especially, since we need to raise 3 interrupts for each mouse movement.
Ok, thanks!
So I guess that mouse clicks neither raise interrupts ? In that case I will have to find a workaround 😁... maybe check buttons state on SOF 🤔. Unless you can add this interrupt raise in the IDE ?

Update: I have just made a quick update to take new VickyII MCR and Bitmap Control Register into account for 800x600, and a quick test, and it works fine :+1:

You can check the ongoing work here : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYlxuo ... nc9if15xA/
Mouse interrupts are now supported in release 0.5.2.3 of the IDE. https://github.com/Trinity-11/FoenixIDE ... se-0.5.2.3
stef

Post by stef » Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:51 am

Matej wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:32 am
Grenouye - Can I help You with Tracker GUI, icons, also ideas? I own chipmusic forum. I am into 8bit/fm music almost 10 years. Also know author of Adlibtracker2.
Matej, sorry for the late approval of the post...

This is really awesome...

Do you want to join the Discord Server @ https://discord.gg/gBY3RCw

Sorry again!

Stefany
Mistress of All Villainy
grenouye

Post by grenouye » Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:57 am

Matej wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:32 am
Of course. I haven't worked on it in a while, as I've been busy with the IDE and Tetris.

We could create a new discussion thread for the C256 Tracker. I'm curious to hear what you're thinking about.
frenchguy

Post by frenchguy » Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:14 pm

grenouye wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:27 am

Mouse interrupts are now supported in release 0.5.2.3 of the IDE. https://github.com/Trinity-11/FoenixIDE ... se-0.5.2.3
Great! Is the documentation up to date?
I'd like to use the interrupts to manage the mouse clicks but I have not yet found where to read button states (?)

In an other hand, I have implemented a trivial buffered drawing mechanism with the VDMA: drawing in off screen video memory (after 0xb0000 + screen size) and then copy this entire buffer (800x600) in the displayed video memory.
I am super happy, so far it works well and fast in the IDE. But a refined algorithm won't hurt, lol.
grenouye

Post by grenouye » Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:38 pm

frenchguy wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:14 pm

Great! Is the documentation up to date?
I'd like to use the interrupts to manage the mouse clicks but I have not yet found where to read button states (?)

In an other hand, I have implemented a trivial buffered drawing mechanism with the VDMA: drawing in off screen video memory (after 0xb0000 + screen size) and then copy this entire buffer (800x600) in the displayed video memory.
I am super happy, so far it works well and fast in the IDE. But a refined algorithm won't hurt, lol.
The mouse button data is provided in the first PS/2 byte written to the keyboard buffer. What you need to do is:
* when the byte counter is 0, do an "AND $7" - this will give the you status of the buttons.
* store this for your program to use when appropriate.

4 = middle button
2 = right button
1 = left button.
frenchguy

Post by frenchguy » Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:10 pm

grenouye wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:38 pm

The mouse button data is provided in the first PS/2 byte written to the keyboard buffer. What you need to do is:
* when the byte counter is 0, do an "AND $7" - this will give the you status of the buttons.

4 = middle button
2 = right button
1 = left button.
Where is this keyboard buffer ? I have seen several addresses in the kernel sources that are labelled as something like keyboard buffer (KEY_BUFFER=000f00 , KBD_INPT_BUFF=AF1060) . I have not seen much changes at those addresses in the IDE, but maybe it's because of a refresh rate.
grenouye

Post by grenouye » Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:52 am

frenchguy wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:10 pm
Where is this keyboard buffer ? I have seen several addresses in the kernel sources that are labelled as something like keyboard buffer (KEY_BUFFER=000f00 , KBD_INPT_BUFF=AF1060) . I have not seen much changes at those addresses in the IDE, but maybe it's because of a refresh rate.
Keyboard buffer is: KBD_INPT_BUF = $AF1060 ; this is really the PS/2 address that SuperIO writes to.
frenchguy

Post by frenchguy » Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:03 pm

frenchguy wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:10 pm
grenouye wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:38 pm

4 = middle button
2 = right button
1 = left button.
I don't understand what/where is the byte counter you mentioned, neither the way to dectect if a button is pressed or released. I had a look in the IDE sources and saw no difference between gpu_MouseUp and gpu_MouseDown which generate the interrupt. I am reading some info about the PS/2 protocol to understand if there are missing stuff in my code, or in the IDE.

I have seen that on a wiki :
bm Button Middle (Normally Off = 0)
br Button Right (Normally Off = 0)
bl Button Left (Normally Off = 0)
xm X-Axis Movement Value
ym Y-Axis Movement Value

Each X and Y axis value is relative. The mouse device does not track it's location in absolute coordinates. This should also be apparent by the 9-bit values. Instead, it sends back saying I moved this far to the left, to the right, down, or up. To keep track of a mouse position you need to accumulate these relative offsets into a absolute position offset in your code:
And if I understand the c# code of the IDE you store the absolute location of mouse, and a number for the button (4,2,1) either it's pressed or up. Am I wrong?
grenouye

Post by grenouye » Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:21 am

Right. Sorry about the confusion. The PS/2 protocol has two registers, one for data and one for control bytes.
When moving the mouse, three interrupts are generated, every time a byte is written to the data registry.

The first byte written contains the mouse buttons
The second byte contains the X delta.
The third byte contains the Y delta.

When the third byte is received, the interrupt handler recomposes the X and Y coordinates and writes them into MOUSE_POS_X_LO/HI and MOUSE_POS_Y_LO/HI.

The IDE generates the interrupts and writes the values in a similar fashion, when you move the mouse or click a button, "GenerateMouseInterrupt" is getting called.

Code: Select all

private void GenerateMouseInterrupt(MouseEventArgs e)
        {
            Point size = gpu.GetScreenSize();
            double ratioW = gpu.Width / (double)size.X;
            double ratioH = gpu.Height / (double)size.Y;
            int X = (int)(e.X / ratioW);
            int Y = (int)(e.Y / ratioH);
            bool middle = e.Button == MouseButtons.Middle;
            bool left = e.Button == MouseButtons.Left;
            bool right = e.Button == MouseButtons.Right;

kernel.MemMgr.VICKY.WriteWord(0x702, X);
            kernel.MemMgr.VICKY.WriteWord(0x704, Y);

// Generate three interrupts - to emulate how the PS/2 controller works
            byte mask = kernel.MemMgr.ReadByte(MemoryLocations.MemoryMap.INT_MASK_REG0);
            // The PS/2 packet is byte0, xm, ym
            if ((~mask & (byte)Register0.FNX0_INT07_MOUSE) == (byte)Register0.FNX0_INT07_MOUSE)
            {
                kernel.MemMgr.KEYBOARD.MousePackets((byte)(8+(middle?4:0)+ (right?2:0) + (left?1:0)) , (byte)(X & 0xFF), (byte)(Y & 0xFF));
            }
        }
My interrupt handler stores the Mouse Button value in a separate register named MOUSE_BUTTONS_REG, as shown here:

Code: Select all

MOUSE_INTERRUPT
                .as
                LDA KBD_INPT_BUF
                PHA
                LDX #$0000
                setxs
                LDX MOUSE_PTR
                BNE MOUSE_BYTE_GT1

; copy the buttons to another address
                AND #%0111
                STA MOUSE_BUTTONS_REG