A video on the C256

Description of your first forum.
PJW

A video on the C256

Post by PJW » Thu May 16, 2019 2:58 am

I have a very tiny (1 subscriber... woooohooo!) Youtube channel. I've been thinking about doing a little series of videos going into how computers work and especially covering low level programming. That's actually part of how I got to this project in the first place. So, I thought I'd put together a little video introducing the C256. I'm going to try to make more as I keep working on my code for it, but I don't know how regular I'll be. For your amusement and/or horror:

bzuidgeest

Re: A video on the C256

Post by bzuidgeest » Thu May 16, 2019 12:08 pm

Great, all little bits of exposure help.
immortalx

Post by immortalx » Thu May 16, 2019 4:55 pm

What are you talking about @PJW, you now have 6 subscribers ;)
Very nice presentation, any kind of exposure matters and kudos to you for being part of it.
bzuidgeest

Post by bzuidgeest » Fri May 17, 2019 11:53 am

I had a chance to watch your video this morning (Netherlands..). Clear speech, good pacing, clear image (not out of focus or something). Not to long and to the point, so watchable by people with an American attention span :). And very important, no theatrics... So no horrors on my opinion.
PJW

Post by PJW » Fri May 17, 2019 4:34 pm

Hmmm... think I should add a smoke bomb effect or something? Or maybe a "yo! hommies, smash that like button and check out my patreon" at the end? ;)

Thanks for the positive comments. I've only done a couple of videos, as you can see, and I am not used to the actual sound of my voice, so I don't know how clear it is or if it's annoying or something.
bzuidgeest

Post by bzuidgeest » Tue May 21, 2019 8:54 am

PJW wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 4:34 pm
Hmmm... think I should add a smoke bomb effect or something? Or maybe a "yo! hommies, smash that like button and check out my patreon" at the end? ;)
Now that would instantly make me unsubscribe :)
bzuidgeest

Post by bzuidgeest » Tue May 28, 2019 9:04 am

I watched your second video. On the face of it, it was fine.

The main criticism I have is that like many videos where assembly is done, you assumed to much knowledge about it on my part. So at times it was quite difficult to follow. The closest thing I got to working with assembly is reading old listings back before translating it into more easily maintainable C.

The project is still early days and many things can change. But I think you should have started with how you set up your environment (configured ?vscode and such) in a separate video. And then some basics about assembly and memory layout on the foenix. After that, this video could be placed.

And yes, that may be dumbing it down to a frustrating level for you :)
PJW

Post by PJW » Tue May 28, 2019 1:31 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I've actually been thinking about doing some videos about 65816 assembly. My worry about them though is that I think they'd end up being drier than toast. At the very least, I want to cover some of the tricky bits of the 65816 there are a couple of "traps for young players" in 65816 assembly. But going into exhausting detail of the M & X bits of the status register isn't going to be helpful for someone who's never done assembly on the 6502.

Oh, as for environment setup, there really isn't that much to talk about there, at least compared to coding in something like C or C#. I just have my text editor (I use Visual Studio Code) with an add-on to do syntax coloring, and the assembler. There aren't a bunch of libraries or utilities to help with assembly the way there are in other languages and IDEs.
tterbo128

Post by tterbo128 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:24 pm

This might be so simple that it is not worth a video. If you're looking for a video idea. Just a video on getting Basic or any of the demo programs loaded on to the Dev Foenix units might be useful. I can probably figure it out from the documentation as well. A sort of power up to hello world video. Thanks :)