Errata on Rev C4A FMX

Description of your first forum.
sm3

Errata on Rev C4A FMX

Post by sm3 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:36 pm

I had a few questions on the errata for my Rev C4A FMX.

Errata 1---MIDI IN Port Pin Inversion (25/03/2020)

Must I make any of these changes if I'm sure I don't plug anything into the MIDI connection? I'm not exactly a hardware wiz and soldering wires onto the PCB is not my strong suit.

Errata 3---Floppy Cable Density Signal (11/04/2020)

I haven't even opened the case on my FMX. How do I make sure I have connection 13 on the floppy cable, are they numbered? Do I just scratch off the metal or something? Then flip it over and do the same thing to the other side?

How do I even open the case to see the board. I don't quite understand how it's put together without unscrewing everything I see with the trial and error approach!

I've been happy tinkering around with the FMX though in software. Just afraid to mess up my board with my lack of engineering skill ;)

Thanks for your time.
stef

Re: Errata on Rev C4A FMX

Post by stef » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:16 am

sm3 wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:36 pm
I had a few questions on the errata for my Rev C4A FMX.

Errata 1---MIDI IN Port Pin Inversion (25/03/2020)

Must I make any of these changes if I'm sure I don't plug anything into the MIDI connection? I'm not exactly a hardware wiz and soldering wires onto the PCB is not my strong suit.

Errata 3---Floppy Cable Density Signal (11/04/2020)

I haven't even opened the case on my FMX. How do I make sure I have connection 13 on the floppy cable, are they numbered? Do I just scratch off the metal or something? Then flip it over and do the same thing to the other side?

How do I even open the case to see the board. I don't quite understand how it's put together without unscrewing everything I see with the trial and error approach!

I've been happy tinkering around with the FMX though in software. Just afraid to mess up my board with my lack of engineering skill ;)

Thanks for your time.
Sm3,

Depending on the moment you have received your unit, those changes have been done. Look at the date you have received your unit and when the post were made. I don't think you have to bother yourself with that.

Stefany
Mistress of All Villainy
sm3

Post by sm3 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:46 pm

Hi Stefany, my FMX C4A arrived March 25th here in the US. Your signed letter is dated February 26th. I looked at the MIDI connectors and of course don't see any wires on the pins unless it's on the bottom side of the PCB.

I still haven't tried to open the case yet.

Thanks for your time!
stef

Post by stef » Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:52 am

sm3 wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:46 pm
Hi Stefany, my FMX C4A arrived March 25th here in the US. Your signed letter is dated February 26th. I looked at the MIDI connectors and of course don't see any wires on the pins unless it's on the bottom side of the PCB.

I still haven't tried to open the case yet.

Thanks for your time!
Sm3,

the last update on the wiki about the patches was made "This page was last edited on 11 April 2020, at 20:01", so you got your unit just before the changes were put in place.

Do you plan on using the MIDI, if so tell me, I will post a picture of how to do the mod in a simpler way.

As for the floppy, a simple exact-o knife ought to do the trick to remove the 13th pads on the cable.

Come back if you need help on how to open the enclosure.

Normally, after removing all the screws in the back, it should slide off when you push on the top lid, but be aware that the white RCA connector in the back gets in conflict with the plexiglass support lip so you might have to move it out of the way for it to slide off.

Hope this helps

S
Mistress of All Villainy