General Comments

Description of your first forum.
stef

Re: General Comments

Post by stef » Fri May 03, 2019 4:26 pm

bzuidgeest wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 12:03 pm
I see the shop is online for rev C. Great, time to buy in.

I'm doubting about the floppy drive. Personally, I do not see any use for it as we have the SDCard reader. Can somebody give me a reason to have the floppy drive?
The Floppy is about nostalgia, it is about the sound it makes when it seeks data. It is not about functionality, it is a go back in time device. That's all it is...

It is just pure pleasure!

S
Mistress of All Villainy
bzuidgeest

Post by bzuidgeest » Fri May 03, 2019 6:28 pm

It is just pure pleasure!
I'm from the era of floppy drives and I for one do not miss the unreliable pieces of doodoo one bit... I can always listen to the floppotron on youtube. So I have decided not to have a floppy on mine and stick to sdcards :lol: Leaving all the floppy pleasure to others.
mikerm

Post by mikerm » Fri May 03, 2019 10:10 pm

Hello everyone!

Just wanted to pop in and say hello, and give stef some moral support. I'm super excited about this machine. I can't wait to play with whatever you smart people come up with (when I can buy one)!
stef

Post by stef » Fri May 03, 2019 10:42 pm

mikerm wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 10:10 pm
Hello everyone!

Just wanted to pop in and say hello, and give stef some moral support. I'm super excited about this machine. I can't wait to play with whatever you smart people come up with (when I can buy one)!
Hey Mike,

Thanks for the support I really appreciate it! ;)

The store is now open for pre-order for Development Platform Rev C, to be shipped during summer 2019.

If you have any questions, please le me know!

Cheers!

Stefany
Mistress of All Villainy
DrBBB

Post by DrBBB » Sat May 04, 2019 7:48 am

Hello Stefany and everyone,

I'm really excited to see the progress, though as it stands now by the time the rev C would ship my summer holidays are over (and next term is going to be awfully much work).
A couple of questions:
1. Prices are in Canadian Dollars?
2. Have you got any estimate on shipping cost to Europe?
3. Since the topic of diskettes came up, would you be able to offer disks in your shop? Maybe even with the Foenix logo? Those I would buy for sure.

Cheers!
Bjoern
EdwardDomain

Post by EdwardDomain » Sat May 04, 2019 3:34 pm

Like others, I’m excited by the project, but I DO want floppy drives. Yes, provide sd card reader or Bluetooth, but part of the joy for me would be using floppy drives with it as well. It isn’t a deal breaker, but I want them.

Also, I’d like my unit to have the see through top. I like seeing the board :)
stef

Post by stef » Sat May 04, 2019 5:23 pm

DrBBB wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 7:48 am
Hello Stefany and everyone,

I'm really excited to see the progress, though as it stands now by the time the rev C would ship my summer holidays are over (and next term is going to be awfully much work).
A couple of questions:
1. Prices are in Canadian Dollars?
2. Have you got any estimate on shipping cost to Europe?
3. Since the topic of diskettes came up, would you be able to offer disks in your shop? Maybe even with the Foenix logo? Those I would buy for sure.

Cheers!
Bjoern
Bjoern,
The prices are in USD
The extra cost to Europe is 40USD.
Yes, I could throw in some floppy disk, as to with the Logo or not, that's a good question, never thought about that. Thanks for the idea! ;o) I will look into it!

Well, the thing is and I am not trying to push or anything, I am looking forward to get 50 boards made and after that it will probably be end of Winter 2020 before I release the final User version.
So just so you know.

I hope I helped.

Cheers
Stefany
Mistress of All Villainy
stef

Post by stef » Sat May 04, 2019 5:24 pm

EdwardDomain wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 3:34 pm
Like others, I’m excited by the project, but I DO want floppy drives. Yes, provide sd card reader or Bluetooth, but part of the joy for me would be using floppy drives with it as well. It isn’t a deal breaker, but I want them.

Also, I’d like my unit to have the see through top. I like seeing the board :)
Well EdwardDomain ,

You know that Rev C is in pre-sale... Yeah?

Cheers!

Stefany
Mistress of All Villainy
EdwardDomain

Post by EdwardDomain » Sat May 04, 2019 7:09 pm

I do now..I looked at the rest of the site

I haven’t coded in over 20 years and even then it was BASIC. I’ve always thought eventually I’d code for fun, but I’m also an entrepreneur and constantly busy.

Then I found your site and went into geek overdrive- I grew up on the C64 and was hardcore Amiga in my teens and early 20s. Seeing the Foenix brought it all back for me and if thisbisnt the perfect excuse to learn to code, nothing is.

So i doubt I’ll be any good, but I can see myself learning to develop applications for it for fun.

I’ll be a passionate user and hobbyist newbie developer.
As a fellow entrepreneur, I love seeing the retro movement grow and that you were crazy enough to build this from nothing.

I’ve been loving the retro movement utilizing this perfectly good tech on modern ways, and so I’m excited to see the whole ecosystem that gets built around your machine...but I’ll definitely be playing all the games too :D

Thanks!!
Fel

Post by Fel » Sun May 05, 2019 8:34 am

I just ordered/paid for one C256. I want to support this project even if I don't have time to develop anything right now (probably not until 2020).
I was never a Commodore C64 developer but I actually started learning basic programming on a Pet and a VIC20. I spent several years with the Apple II and Atari 8/16 bit computers. Those were the good old days writing games and sharing with my user group. I am a developer now but working on mainframe applications, and have not written even a PC program in years.

Stef, in the future it would be great to have a storefront for software, utilities, resource, tools, etc. where people can share or even sell their creations.

Thanls,
Fel