General Comments

Description of your first forum.
ZeroByte
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:13 pm

Re: General Comments

Post by ZeroByte » Mon May 06, 2019 9:24 pm

stef wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 8:01 pm
Alright then, if I give you the choice:
YM2612
or
YM2151 + YM3012

Which one would you pick?

S
Wow, that's quite a choice!

I'd personally choose the 2151+3012 combo as it would support all of the AdLib stuff out there anyone wants to draw upon, as well as having a more advanced FM capability as well.

However, I can see how that hybrid / multi-chip approach might not be as desirable from a system design standpoint - the 2612 would be quite awesome as well. My main concern about 2151 would be availability for your userbase if you wanted to use real HW instead of FPGA clones. (Although, I think the 2151 has been perfectly cloned in software for a long time - not sure how the FPGA compares)
User avatar
stef
Posts: 64
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am
Location: Somewhere in the Universe
Contact:

Re: General Comments

Post by stef » Tue May 07, 2019 2:31 am

ZeroByte wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 9:24 pm
stef wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 8:01 pm
Alright then, if I give you the choice:
YM2612
or
YM2151 + YM3012

Which one would you pick?

S
Wow, that's quite a choice!

I'd personally choose the 2151+3012 combo as it would support all of the AdLib stuff out there anyone wants to draw upon, as well as having a more advanced FM capability as well.

However, I can see how that hybrid / multi-chip approach might not be as desirable from a system design standpoint - the 2612 would be quite awesome as well. My main concern about 2151 would be availability for your userbase if you wanted to use real HW instead of FPGA clones. (Although, I think the 2151 has been perfectly cloned in software for a long time - not sure how the FPGA compares)
ZeroByte , most Yamaha chips are still very much available to this day if you know where to look, hell my YM3812 were made in 2016 or something. They still make them. So I am not worried about finding them. I have listened to many tracks with the YM2612 and I really like it and since it was part of the Genesis I thought it would be a great addition as an expansion board. The thing with the 2151 is that you need 2 chips as opposed to 1 with the 2612. They do sound very much alike though...

Anyway, thanks for the feedback!

Cheers
Stefany
Mistress of All Villainy
ZeroByte
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:13 pm

Re: General Comments

Post by ZeroByte » Tue May 07, 2019 12:52 pm

2612 would be awesome.

It must be very similar to 2151 because I found a post on vgmrips where a guy had mass ripped all instruments from all genesis tracks and converted them all to OPM (2151 instrument) format.

I never noticed 2612 didn’t need a DAC chip. Makes sense to reduce chip count for consumer electronics to keep costs lower, though.
bzuidgeest
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed May 01, 2019 6:51 pm

Re: General Comments

Post by bzuidgeest » Tue May 07, 2019 3:02 pm

I believe the fpga code will be open source, doesn't it? if one is interested he might replace the fpga SID with and FPGA YM2612 or such as an alternative firmware option....

But for now, I would be happy if it gets to market as is.
tim1724
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:43 pm

Re: General Comments

Post by tim1724 » Tue May 07, 2019 7:12 pm

I just ordered mine.

I did a bunch of Apple IIgs programming back in high school. It'll be fun to get back into the '816 but with some real graphics hardware. (I love the GS but super high res wasn't so super.)
User avatar
stef
Posts: 64
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am
Location: Somewhere in the Universe
Contact:

Re: General Comments

Post by stef » Tue May 07, 2019 7:35 pm

tim1724 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 7:12 pm
I just ordered mine.

I did a bunch of Apple IIgs programming back in high school. It'll be fun to get back into the '816 but with some real graphics hardware. (I love the GS but super high res wasn't so super.)
Hey Tim,
Thanks for joining the club!

Please don't hesitate to ask any questions you may have!

Cheers

Stefany
Mistress of All Villainy
User avatar
drone84
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:05 pm
Location: On Earth

Re: General Comments

Post by drone84 » Tue May 07, 2019 10:22 pm

If I have the choice I will go for the YM2612 because it the one in the genesis. The other-one is easy to clone I will say, at least for the FM part. It's only digital so you don't care with witch technologist is used to generate the final signal. The tricky part will be to find a DAC how match the sound.
Last edited by drone84 on Wed May 08, 2019 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Give me anything with electronic and I will make it crash/bug
User avatar
techristian
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:39 am
Location: Windsor, Ontario
Contact:

Re: General Comments

Post by techristian » Wed May 08, 2019 4:11 pm

I'm seriously looking at the YM2149 CHIP for my future projects. I heard some incredible bell sounds from this chip and it can be purchased for under $1 in quantity.

Just my 2 cents.

Dan
User avatar
stef
Posts: 64
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am
Location: Somewhere in the Universe
Contact:

Re: General Comments

Post by stef » Wed May 08, 2019 6:09 pm

drone84 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 10:22 pm
If I have the choice I will go for the YM2612 because it the one in the genesis. The other-one is easy to clone I will say, at least for the FM part. It's only digital so you don't care with witch technologist is used to generate the final signal. The tricky part will be to find a DAC how match the sound.
Why would we want to clone it? You can still buy those in Humongous quantities!

Stefany
Mistress of All Villainy
ZeroByte
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:13 pm

Re: General Comments

Post by ZeroByte » Wed May 08, 2019 8:29 pm

techristian wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 4:11 pm
I'm seriously looking at the YM2149 CHIP for my future projects. I heard some incredible bell sounds from this chip and it can be purchased for under $1 in quantity.

Just my 2 cents.

Dan
2151 does bells pretty well also - check out the OST for Street Fighter II (arcade version) - Dhalsim stage, and M. Bison stage have good examples, especially M. Bison's.
Post Reply