General Comments

Description of your first forum.
techristian

Re: General Comments

Post by techristian » Mon May 13, 2019 9:22 pm

stef wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 8:23 pm

Hackaday is very Pro-David Murray or anything else that is not C256 Foenix.

I am looking forward to see.

thanks! ;)

S
You are right Stef , about Hackaday, but your's is REAL and not vaporware . The other 2 projects are just vaporware now.
Hackaday wrote: The C256 Foenix is probably the closest to meeting the design goals, but it’s far too expensive, and even without the MIDI ports, SID chips, and other interesting hardware, it would still be above the desired price point."
So they at least give you a +++ for "other interesting hardware"

But here is the thing that Hackaday said about David's computer !!!
Also, this computer would cost about $50, with $100 as the absolute, maximum limit (implying a BOM cost of around $15-$25). This is absolutely, completely, astonishingly impossible. I would be deceiving you if I did not mention the impossibility of this project happening with the stated goals. This project will not meet the goal of selling for less than one hundred dollars.
Dan
Fel

Post by Fel » Tue May 14, 2019 12:21 am

stef wrote:
jcook793 wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 5:07 pm
I also submitted to Hackaday just now, hopefully they pick it up!

I am looking forward to see.

thanks! ;)

S

Another good place to advertise it would be on Hackster.io. They have some retro stuff for Commodore and Atari. Alex was showing a Sinclair recently on her youtube channel.
They a Product section with links to the website that sell the items. I could not find a place where I could submit the Foenix 256, but I was thinking that Stef or an authorized person would have to submit the product and appropriate links.

Thanks!
F
bzuidgeest

Post by bzuidgeest » Tue May 14, 2019 9:41 am

stef wrote:
I would not put it past them to ignore it as a competitor, but if they do so for that reason I would consider it beyond childish. They do not have to endorse it, just report on project goals, availability and specs. Let their public decide what they want.
rrossi

Post by rrossi » Tue May 14, 2019 8:41 pm

Very cool project. Is the model for the 3D printed case available for download?
stef

Post by stef » Tue May 14, 2019 9:20 pm

rrossi wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 8:41 pm
Very cool project. Is the model for the 3D printed case available for download?
Hello rrossi,

It will be available for download when the Rev C will be shipping.

Since there might be some slight changes in between Rev B2 and C, there is no point into releasing any info at this point.

Thank you for your interests!

Cheers!
S
Mistress of All Villainy
immortalx

Post by immortalx » Thu May 16, 2019 4:46 pm

What about Handmade Network. It's mainly software oriented but it's all about clean, efficient and mostly low-level projects. There are programming languages, debuggers and emulators in there, so I don't see why they wouldn't welcome a project like c256 which despite being hardware, is super-awesome. Not to mention that it's backed up by one of the coolest old-timers (Casey Muratori). If it gets accepted there (accepted in the sense that it's not a software project) it will definitely stir that community which would be very capable in producing stuff for the c256.
It wouldn't hurt to give it a shot Stef.
DrBBB

Post by DrBBB » Sun May 19, 2019 9:31 am

Just placed my order for the fully assembled version. I guess that this includes a disk drive, as shown on the picture?
The first piece of software I would like to contribute would be a recreation of my favourite C64 game, "Space Taxi". The PC-Remake I bought a while ago, while being a nice little game, just isn't the same.
stef

Post by stef » Sun May 19, 2019 8:41 pm

DrBBB wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 9:31 am
Just placed my order for the fully assembled version. I guess that this includes a disk drive, as shown on the picture?
The first piece of software I would like to contribute would be a recreation of my favourite C64 game, "Space Taxi". The PC-Remake I bought a while ago, while being a nice little game, just isn't the same.
Hey DrBBB,

Yes, the unit comes full assembled with the floppy.

I just checked the C64 Version on Youtube... Do you plan on using characters too? Or using the Tiles for it?

Cheers

Stefany
Mistress of All Villainy
Antoon

Post by Antoon » Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:32 am

Hi everyone,

Learned of this project via 8bitguy. But I think Stef's vision is more coherent.

My first computer was a VIC20, and I learned machine coding the 6502 on it as a kid of 15.

It seems to me this is a huge project and lots of coding and debugging needed. Is there a way I can contribute to the project?

Kind regards,

Antoon
bzuidgeest

Post by bzuidgeest » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:23 pm

Hello Antoon,

I do not have any specific answer for you. But my advice would be to stick around read the postings, talk to people and have a general look around. When someone asks for help with something you feel comfortable with, you can step in. You might also determine something you think is still needed and just start building that. Or think about what you would want to build and start pulling together the pieces required.
The platform is still in its infancy and its all about what you want to do with it.

In short do whatever you are comfortable with. But stef seems to be looking for the next great demo....