Description of your first forum.
bzuidgeest

Re: Q about rev C early adopter system

Post by bzuidgeest » Mon May 06, 2019 7:10 pm

ZeroByte wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 6:59 pm
bzuidgeest wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 6:17 pm
Maybe port some sierra games? They used interpreters and there are open source versions. Should be doable....
A port of SCUMM VM would bring quite a bit of content to the system right away, that's for sure.
True but I was thinking a little earlier myself, namely the agi (nagi) engine http://www.agidev.com/. SCUMMVM might be a little much for a first project...
ZeroByte

Post by ZeroByte » Mon May 06, 2019 7:25 pm

bzuidgeest wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 7:10 pm
True but I was thinking a little earlier myself, namely the agi (nagi) engine http://www.agidev.com/. SCUMMVM might be a little much for a first project...
That's definitely beyond my capabilities as well. I wonder if anyone in the SCUMMVM dev community would be up to porting it. Not that this is some dream I have - it just seems like a good fit.

Stefanie, are there any plans to release the emu/dev kit even for those w/o actual hardware? I'm very keen on trying my hand at coding a game or two for the system, but unsure as to whether I'd be up to the task of producing anything truly worthwhile for that "gen 1" software pool, and as such, actual hardware might be best allocated to someone with more time & experience than I personally have, but that doesn't mean I don't want to contribute. Personally, I am giddy at the prospect of having a bare-metal 16bit-style machine at my fingertips, and am trying to decide if I would truly expend the effort necessary to justify getting an early-adopter system. (I really want one though)
stef

Post by stef » Mon May 06, 2019 7:47 pm

ZeroByte wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 7:25 pm
bzuidgeest wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 7:10 pm
That's definitely beyond my capabilities as well. I wonder if anyone in the SCUMMVM dev community would be up to porting it. Not that this is some dream I have - it just seems like a good fit.

Stefanie, are there any plans to release the emu/dev kit even for those w/o actual hardware? I'm very keen on trying my hand at coding a game or two for the system, but unsure as to whether I'd be up to the task of producing anything truly worthwhile for that "gen 1" software pool, and as such, actual hardware might be best allocated to someone with more time & experience than I personally have, but that doesn't mean I don't want to contribute. Personally, I am giddy at the prospect of having a bare-metal 16bit-style machine at my fingertips, and am trying to decide if I would truly expend the effort necessary to justify getting an early-adopter system. (I really want one though)
Well, The FoenixIDE is as its base an emulator and Dan, the owner has done a lot of work to make it as close as the machine as possible. Right now, the software supports all the graphics mode, with the bitmap and the tiles and the sprites, but the emulator doesn't run @ full speed. It doesn't support sound and most I/Os right now. Although he did a lot of work to make it run faster, I doubt that it will ever get to a point it will reach the full speed of the machine with the actual implementation since the foundation of the FoenixIDE was inherited from a different piece of software.

The workflow we use right now: The text editor we use is "Atom" with the 65C816 expansion, we compile with 64Tass, we use FoenixIDE to either run (@ lesser speed) and to debug and we use it to Download the code in the machine and to run it (@ Full speed). I for one, use the BRK instruction in the code, to get the Machine to break and from that, the Monitor gives us the status of each register of the CPU. From that, we can infer the problems and start the loop again. Even if this debug process is nowhere near as fancy as what we have these days. It is still very efficient. I managed to debug the entire core of my command parser within one evening and there were many bugs. I know PJW, who is developing the BASIC816 for the Foenix is using a somewhat lesser version of that since he wrote his own Python script to send and fetch back the data from the machine, he uses the Serial Port as a debug console as well.

All of that to say that without the real machine, it is going to be difficult to actually get something going and actually your argument to have a simulator to see if you can actually do the stuff will be the very thing that will actually inhibit you to do anything. In other words, because you don't have a machine, you will feel that whatever you want to do, will not be possible.

Bottom line, right now, you are trying to rationalize or justify the expense by finding reasons why you should not get it. You are torturing yourself about getting it or not... And I would say buy the damn thing already unless you are really tight with money which is a different story altogether. If you have the money, trust me, when you are going to get it, we are not going to hear about you for a while so much you are going to be excited about it... ;)

BTW, Probably 3/4 of the people who will get the machine might now even get into creating content and that I can't control, so this not a good argument either...

Cheers

Stefany
Mistress of All Villainy
Fusin

Post by Fusin » Tue May 07, 2019 12:04 am

ZeroByte wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 6:59 pm
bzuidgeest wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 6:17 pm
Maybe port some sierra games? They used interpreters and there are open source versions. Should be doable....
A port of SCUMM VM would bring quite a bit of content to the system right away, that's for sure.
A port of M$ QBasic would bring us Nibbles and Gorilla :-D
williamlee

Post by williamlee » Thu May 16, 2019 10:56 pm

Hi Stef-

As someone with fond memories of my C64, this looks like the perfect project for me! If I order one, can you tell me when it would ship? Thanks!
stef

Post by stef » Fri May 17, 2019 2:10 am

williamlee wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 10:56 pm
Hi Stef-

As someone with fond memories of my C64, this looks like the perfect project for me! If I order one, can you tell me when it would ship? Thanks!
Hey williamlee,

I am about to make the changes to the PCB from rev B2 to rev C and the PCB should go in production. That ought to take a couple of weeks.

After that, I need to figure out if I am going to find a local CM to assemble the boards or I build some by hand.

Either way, I say that the soonest I could see some board ship would be towards the end of June, otherwise during July.

That is my best estimate.

So, I hope that answered your question.

Regards,

Stefany
Mistress of All Villainy
Fel

Post by Fel » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:52 am

Hi Stef,
How's revision C going?
I can't wait to start playing with mine :) However, I will be so busy with work that even if you ship at the end of June, I wouldn't be able to check it out until end of Aug :(

Regards,
Fel
stef

Post by stef » Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:32 pm

Fel wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:52 am
Hi Stef,
How's revision C going?
I can't wait to start playing with mine :) However, I will be so busy with work that even if you ship at the end of June, I wouldn't be able to check it out until end of Aug :(

Regards,
Fel
Hey Fel,

I am in the process of doing the new PCB which I hope to send the PCB to manufacturing early July.

The process will be for me to receive this new batch first and do a quick bring up and if there is no issue on the board, then I will go a start the production for you guys. In my best estimate, Mid-August ought to be the time I ought to start shipping. So, right on time for you to fully enjoy.

if you have any other questions, please let me know.

Cheers

Stefany
Mistress of All Villainy