Greetings from the Bleeding Edge

Description of your first forum.
PJW

Greetings from the Bleeding Edge

Post by PJW » Mon May 06, 2019 10:16 pm

Hi. I thought I'd pop in to introduce myself now that the new forum has been set up. I'm on of the phase one coding elves and one of the recipients of the prototype boxes. I had been tinkering around with building my own single-board 6502 based computers and was going to make a my own 65816-based board when I ran across the C256 project and thought "well, heck, this is better than anything I can build." So when the call came out for early adopters to help with the initial development, I signed up.

I'm not a graphics or sound person. Although I had a C64, I was never part of the demo scene, but I do know a thing or two about programming languages. So, I volunteered to help write parts of the monitor and the BASIC implementation. If I have time and there's interest, I'd also like to create a Forth implementation for the system. The BASIC that I am working on is in its very early stages yet: it's not interactive yet and is just the core of the interpreter and a whole mess of unit tests. It is, however, running on the actual hardware, thanks to the very handy debug port present on the phase 1 board. When the C256 is ready to go out to more people, I hope to have a version of BASIC in place that will be very similar to Commodore BASIC, although not identical. If nothing else, it will have more structured programming constructs and the ability to work with the full memory of the C256. It will also have simple file system access commands, because I always hated LOAD "$",8. It is still going to be tokenized and based on line numbers (unless there are howls of outrage over that), so it's not going to be a speed demon, but it should be good enough for general tasks and messing around.

Here's a picture of my unit in its happy home. Don't get too excited about the screen... that wasn't BASIC saying hello, just my typing something in.

immortalx

Re: Greetings from the Bleeding Edge

Post by immortalx » Tue May 07, 2019 2:45 am

Keep it up PJW, it's posts like this that keeps us excited
bzuidgeest

Post by bzuidgeest » Tue May 07, 2019 11:53 am

Hi PJW

Are you writing the basic from scratch or are you basing it on some preexisting basic code base?
PJW

Post by PJW » Tue May 07, 2019 2:44 pm

I'm writing it from scratch. I was considering trying to do a port of EhBASIC, but I was concerned about copyrights (not really sure who holds what rights on that code now). Also, I did some investigation to see if anyone had done a 65816 port of that, and it sounded like a few people had tried and run into problem after problem with it.
tomxp411

Post by tomxp411 » Thu May 09, 2019 11:51 pm

I'm glad to see you're making progress.

I was very disappointed I needed to back out last year, and every time I stop in to see how things are going, I wish I had more free time to help.

Regardless, it's super-exciting to see some hardware out there and to see the system booted up on a real monitor. After looking at the emulator for so many months, to see it running on a real display is great.
stef

Post by stef » Fri May 10, 2019 11:04 pm

tomxp411 wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 11:51 pm
I'm glad to see you're making progress.

I was very disappointed I needed to back out last year, and every time I stop in to see how things are going, I wish I had more free time to help.

Regardless, it's super-exciting to see some hardware out there and to see the system booted up on a real monitor. After looking at the emulator for so many months, to see it running on a real display is great.
Tom,

Well, your software certainly helped a lot and will do even more in the future.

S
Mistress of All Villainy