Foenix IDE

Description of your first forum.
grenouye

Foenix IDE

Post by grenouye » Tue May 07, 2019 12:44 am

The Foenix IDE is a custom tool provided for developers to accelerate development of applications for the C256 Foenix.
The Integrated Development Environment (IDE) is a Windows 64-bit application build in Microsoft.Net C#.

The IDE delivers the following capabilities:
  • emulation of the C256 Foenix hardware (graphics, interrupts, i/o)
  • load compiled assembly code (Intel Hex format) and step through line by line
  • add breakpoints to loaded code
  • inspect and modify memory
  • inspect and modify registers
  • allow game developers to load bitmaps, color lookup tables, tiles and sprites and display them on their PC
  • upload code to the C256 Foenix
  • download memory blocks from the C256 Foenix
The following features are upcoming:
  • Tile Editor
  • Run the assembler from the Tool menu
  • Tracking of loaded bitmaps, tiles and sprites to help developers align data
  • Saving/loading all loaded objects, breakpoints and programs into/from Foenix Project files.
  • Performance improvements
The current version of the Foenix IDE is 0.2.1.0, and many new features are still under development. The executable will be made available to developers who express interest in supporting the C256 Foenix.
PJW

Re: Foenix IDE

Post by PJW » Tue May 07, 2019 3:00 am

I just wanted to add that Grenouye has really been putting a lot of work into the IDE. When we started working on the project, there was already an emulator that had been started but not developed very far. Grenouye has added a lot to the emulator, fixed a lot of issues (including memory and performance), and has been adding features to make it more useful. I think the IDE is going to be a really useful tool, and it's really due to Grenouye taking what we had at the start and putting a lot of effort into it to develop it further.
stef

Post by stef » Tue May 07, 2019 3:02 am

PJW wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 3:00 am
I just wanted to add that Grenouye has really been putting a lot of work into the IDE. When we started working on the project, there was already an emulator that had been started but not developed very far. Grenouye has added a lot to the emulator, fixed a lot of issues (including memory and performance), and has been adding features to make it more useful. I think the IDE is going to be a really useful tool, and it's really due to Grenouye taking what we had at the start and putting a lot of effort into it to develop it further.
I could not agree more! Grenouye has done a fantastic job! and that tool will make a huge difference in the end!

Stefany
Mistress of All Villainy
grenouye

Post by grenouye » Tue May 07, 2019 3:20 am

Just keep the feature requests coming! I will try to add as many as possible.
bzuidgeest

Post by bzuidgeest » Tue May 07, 2019 11:36 am

grenouye wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 3:20 am
Just keep the feature requests coming! I will try to add as many as possible.
Nice to hear so much work is being done on the software side to. So here is my feature request:

Add support for the c-compiler from the wdctools
There is a lot of existing c-code out there one might port to this platform. Rewriting everything in basic or assembly just isn't that attractive to me. :)
drone84

Post by drone84 » Tue May 07, 2019 10:43 pm

Just for people how want to see what the IDE look like :

Give me anything with electronic and I will make it crash/bug
stef

Post by stef » Wed May 08, 2019 1:01 am

here is a graphic mode output:
Attachments
FoenixIDE_Capture.png
FoenixIDE_Capture.png (192.21 KiB) Viewed 1140 times
Mistress of All Villainy
tomxp411

Post by tomxp411 » Thu May 09, 2019 11:32 pm

Hey, guys. Tom here.

The emulator is looking good.

Is this based on the Nu256 emulator I created?

I'd love to get a snapshot to see how things are going. I'm still not in a position where I can contribute a whole lot of time, but I'm still interested in the final product and the development tools.

This actually started as a terminal emulator for connecting to my Altair clone. I didn't need a lot of performance at the time, and even running at 60FPS, the emulator used less than 10% of my CPU... but when I added in 65816 CPU emulation, that definitely added some load.

I'd love to see how you've implemented the graphics engine; that was going to be my next step - for which I was probably going to with SDL. I'm considering that now for my terminal and for my eventual adventure game engine.

Anyway, kudos on the good work.
Jeff_Birt

Post by Jeff_Birt » Fri May 10, 2019 2:21 pm

When will the IDE be publicly available? I would like a chance to play with it a bit before by spiffy dev system arrives :)
stef

Post by stef » Fri May 10, 2019 10:32 pm

tomxp411 wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 11:32 pm
Hey, guys. Tom here.

The emulator is looking good.

Is this based on the Nu256 emulator I created?

I'd love to get a snapshot to see how things are going. I'm still not in a position where I can contribute a whole lot of time, but I'm still interested in the final product and the development tools.

This actually started as a terminal emulator for connecting to my Altair clone. I didn't need a lot of performance at the time, and even running at 60FPS, the emulator used less than 10% of my CPU... but when I added in 65816 CPU emulation, that definitely added some load.

I'd love to see how you've implemented the graphics engine; that was going to be my next step - for which I was probably going to with SDL. I'm considering that now for my terminal and for my eventual adventure game engine.

Anyway, kudos on the good work.
Hey Tom!

Nice to see you again, I am glad that you are doing okay! and that you might come back at some point.

Yes, we started from your NU256 emulator, I didn't want to waste what you have done. I made the FoenixIDE public today, here is the link:https://github.com/Trinity-11/FoenixIDE

One of the early developer, Grenouye (Dan), took over it and I think he did wonders with it. Take a look.

Hope you can rejoin the development effort at some point!

Cheers

Stefany
Mistress of All Villainy