Update on BASIC

Description of your first forum.
PJW

Update on BASIC

Post by PJW » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:29 pm

I thought you all might be interested in the milestone the BASIC interpreter just reached: it just ran its first interactively entered program on the C256 hardware. Here's a screenshot:

So as not to misrepresent things: the interpreter is very limited and buggy at the moment. It's nowhere near even an alpha stage of development. Only a few statements are implemented and passing simple unit tests, only integer math is supported at the moment, and the interactive code will go off and sulk if you look at it funny. Still, this is a moment I thought worth sharing.

By the way, I only just integrated the interactivity code into BASIC. It provides a very simple screen editor interface much like what the Commodore 8-bit machines had where you'll be able to cursor up to a line on the screen, make a change, press RETURN, and have the program be updated accordingly.
PJW

Re: Update on BASIC

Post by PJW » Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:01 am

Update to the update... here's a quick video demo:
Jeff_Birt

Post by Jeff_Birt » Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:04 pm

Cool, had this pop up on YouTube this morning. Looking good!
PJW

Post by PJW » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:01 am

Stefany asked me earlier how fast my interpreter is compared to the C64's version of BASIC. I dug out my old C64 and ran the same "Hello World" style program side-by-side. My BASIC interpreter is not optimized by any stretch of the imagination, and it was written by some guy who's memory of 6502 code in general is pretty rusty, whereas the C64's implementation of BASIC was written by people who knew what they were doing (well, presumably). Still... here you go:
bzuidgeest

Post by bzuidgeest » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:11 am

Always nice to see the progress being made on this platform.
PJW

Post by PJW » Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:08 pm

I forgot to post some of my video updates here... so here is the most recent one. This isn't really about BASIC, except that the code I'm demonstrating will be included in the BASIC code base. It's a simple machine language monitor for the C256: