C256 Foenix - Specifications (Last Update: March 10th)

dwsJason

Re: C256 Foenix - Specifications (Last Update: March 10th)

Post by dwsJason » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:24 pm

This is really helpful, thank you!

Also for anyone curious, if you find the FoenixIDE over on github (https://github.com/Trinity-11/FoenixIDE), in the documents directory there is also additional information.
dwsJason

Post by dwsJason » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:41 pm

On boot up, how is data copied from the Flash into RAM. Is is copied down via DMA? I'm very curious about the magic happening here.

I have an Apple IIgs background. These days most folks have 4MB or more of main RAM in their GS, and can spend spend around $50-$100 for this type of upgrade. So my personal preference is to have a full 4MB of ram for code. In comparison to the IIgs, $10 for this additional memory is a bargain.

Also if this isn't a good place on the forum to be asking technical questions, please let me know.

Thank you again,
Jason
stef

Post by stef » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:43 pm

dwsJason wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:41 pm
On boot up, how is data copied from the Flash into RAM. Is is copied down via DMA? I'm very curious about the magic happening here.

I have an Apple IIgs background. These days most folks have 4MB or more of main RAM in their GS, and can spend spend around $50-$100 for this type of upgrade. So my personal preference is to have a full 4MB of ram for code. In comparison to the IIgs, $10 for this additional memory is a bargain.

Also if this isn't a good place on the forum to be asking technical questions, please let me know.

Thank you again,
Jason
Jason,

This is the News section, probably not the best place but I will answer your question anyway! ;)

in the RevC4 version of the Foenix, the Foenix FMX, there are 2 Chips that are managing the system, GABE (GAVIN + BEATRIX) and VICKY II (VICKY's Super Active Daughter) ;o). GABE is doing the transfer at boot time, it is completely automatic and hardware controlled, by the time CPU starts, the memory has been initialized and ready to go. Now, the FoenixIDE and the RevC4 through the Debug Port has the ability to reflash the Kernel Flash. So if you would want to upgrade the Flash with your own flavor you could. Another aspect of the system when it becomes more mature, there will be different ways to boot the system, either direct to BASIC, or boot from Floppy or Harddrive.
The FMX has 4Megs of CODE and another 4Megs for Graphics that is separated through VICKY II.

As for where to post in the future, I think on the other side, you can start a thread about it. In the future, there will be more life in the forum as units are being received by early-adopters.

Cheers

Stefany
PS: The videos you saw were about RevB2, they are somewhat outdated. I plan on starting to make videos again when I will be done with serving the Early Adopters.
Mistress of All Villainy