Foenix IDE

Description of your first forum.
beethead

Re: Foenix IDE

Post by beethead » Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:28 am

grenouye wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:20 am
The IDE still requires a lot of TLC to make it more useful for C256 Foenix developers.
Is there a link to any sample source codes aside from those found on Piotr Meyer's Github page and the kernal? Something more of a graphical nature like the Jumpman Senior bitmap, C256 Foenix Boing Demo or something on sprites? I updated my homemade assembler to save Intel .hex files just to experiment with the IDE.
stef

Post by stef » Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:45 am

beethead wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:28 am
grenouye wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:20 am
The IDE still requires a lot of TLC to make it more useful for C256 Foenix developers.
Is there a link to any sample source codes aside from those found on Piotr Meyer's Github page and the kernal? Something more of a graphical nature like the Jumpman Senior bitmap, C256 Foenix Boing Demo or something on sprites? I updated my homemade assembler to save Intel .hex files just to experiment with the IDE.
https://github.com/Trinity-11/Kernel
https://github.com/Trinity-11/FoenixIDE
https://github.com/rdaum/c256emu/
https://github.com/aniou/c256
https://github.com/rdaum/c256emu/tree/m ... ples/boing

I think that should give you a head start.

Hope it does.

Cheers

Stefany
Mistress of All Villainy
PJW

Post by PJW » Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:10 pm

I really should get off my tuchus and start tutorial video series I've been pondering.
beethead

Post by beethead » Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:15 am

Code: Select all

; Joystick Ports
JOYSTICK0     = $AFE800  ;(R) Joystick 0 - J7 (Next to Buzzer)
JOYSTICK1     = $AFE801  ;(R) Joystick 1 - J8
JOYSTICK2     = $AFE802  ;(R) Joystick 2 - J9
JOYSTICK3     = $AFE803  ;(R) Joystick 3 - J10 (next to SD Card)
Any plans to implement these in the IDE and have them configured to some cheap USB gamepads (the $5 variety on ebay)?

On that same note, will the actual hardware be able to hook up a USB gamepad? A single button joystick doesn't get you very far these days.
bzuidgeest

Post by bzuidgeest » Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:54 pm

In answer to sduensin. I have used the wdctool with the foenixIDE and it works... I only did some very crude tests to see if I could read register and respond to interrupts. (all without the kernel loaded)

For the foenix ide I used:
wdc816cc -ML simple.c
wdcln -HI -V -T -P00 simple.obj c0l.obj -LCL -O simple.hex

for the simulator included in wdctools I used:
wdc816cc -ML simple.c -bs
wdcln -HZ -G -V -T -P00 simple.obj c0l.obj -LCL -O simple.bin

I used both the IDE and simulator. The simulator of course does not have the foenix hardware, but I could not get my code working on the ide and I used wdc simulator to trace the bug by comparing the results of stepping thru the code. The wdc simulator is crude but its effective and doe support stepping thru the C code.

When we get a little further along and I have had a chance to finish adding sdcard support and sound support (at least that what I am attempting now) I plan to use the compiler to do some actual projects on the IDE.
gadget

Post by gadget » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:10 pm

For Beethead:

It should be reasonably easy to read the joysticks in emulation, but I think we're going to need more from Stefany before the joystick interface can be implemented in either of the emulators. Native support of USB devices is ... unlikely : ), but I could see using the mouse input for a more full-featured game controller.

In terms of the number of switches &c, it looks like she's emulating Atari style ports, so probably +5, GND, 5 switches, and two additional pins. On the FMX, two ports are expected to have SuperIO analog (eg paddle / analog joystick) inputs on the extra pins (like a C64), and two ports are expected to offer programmable I/O pins on the extra pins. You could always use two ports per device for more inputs.

I like the idea of being able to use common controllers with an analog joystick, digital game-pad, and a few other switches, but I believe the SuperIO analog interface requires polling and timing in a loop, which sucks, and we're not expecting a SuperIO chip on the base Foenix unit, so I don't know if there will be an internal analog option there.

I'm completely out of touch on what is readily available and easy to modify, but I'll certainly be looking for a pair of controllers with analog joystick and game-pad controls that I can adapt! Depending on the RC time constants, polling the SuperIO might not be so bad.

Until we know more, I'd say assume standard 5-switch Atari joysticks, and if you want to hack on the emulator to get a game going, you can probably just reflect the five inputs in the first five bits of each register, and, in your code, use symbolic constants for the registers and bits, so you can easily adapt your code as the real hardware develops!
sduensin

Post by sduensin » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:44 am

bzuidgeest wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:54 pm
In answer to sduensin. I have used the wdctool with the foenixIDE and it works... I only did some very crude tests to see if I could read register and respond to interrupts. (all without the kernel loaded)

For the foenix ide I used:
wdc816cc -ML simple.c
wdcln -HI -V -T -P00 simple.obj c0l.obj -LCL -O simple.hex

for the simulator included in wdctools I used:
wdc816cc -ML simple.c -bs
wdcln -HZ -G -V -T -P00 simple.obj c0l.obj -LCL -O simple.bin

I used both the IDE and simulator. The simulator of course does not have the foenix hardware, but I could not get my code working on the ide and I used wdc simulator to trace the bug by comparing the results of stepping thru the code. The wdc simulator is crude but its effective and doe support stepping thru the C code.

When we get a little further along and I have had a chance to finish adding sdcard support and sound support (at least that what I am attempting now) I plan to use the compiler to do some actual projects on the IDE.
That's fantastic. I really want to support as many platforms as I can with JoeyLib. This little board looks like a perfect fit! I'll be keeping tabs on this for sure!
gadget

Post by gadget » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:27 pm

Re; Joysticks,

Wow, I am really out of touch. I must have dreamt that SNES style controller with an analog stick on the left, a + controller on the right, and fire buttons on the front edge. Given that EVERYTHING is USB these days, best bet for something other than a classic Atari joystick is probably a wire-it-yourself with standard components and a 3d-printable shell.
PJW

Post by PJW » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:32 pm

I actually just picked up some pots and switches at the local parts shop. I think I'm going to try to make some paddles for my system. I was thinking about the joystick stuff while I was there. Adafruit has some lovely parts that can be used to make a gamepad of sorts... there's at least one nice looking switch based joystick and some sweet arcade style push buttons in many colors. They're REALLLLY tempting.
bzuidgeest

Post by bzuidgeest » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:26 pm

You could build something like this:

https://howchoo.com/g/zjm4zwzjzgi/pi-re ... e-joystick

But without the PI in it off-course. You can get the button, sticks and printing everywhere these days.