Foenix IDE

Description of your first forum.
User avatar
grenouye
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:57 pm
Location: Halifax, NS
Contact:

Re: Foenix IDE

Post by grenouye » Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:51 pm

chibiakumas wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:03 am
Hi, I think I may have found another processor bug in V 0.2.5.1

In 8 bit mode, INC ing a direct page value never sets the Carry flag, It's my understanding that is should.. EG
... Am I correct in saying this is a bug?
Yes, it's a bug. It's hard to imagine that I haven't caught this one before: ADC and ABC are used very often.
Release 0.2.5.2 of the IDE has this fixed.
frenchguy
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:45 am

Re: Foenix IDE

Post by frenchguy » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:42 am

Hi @grenouye,

I talked about a strange rendering with the IDE when testing bitmap drawing. I have maybe found the origin of this weird behavior.

Here is the result of my test when I load w/o zeroing my program in the IDE with the provided Kernel (in bin/release/roms ) :
Capture d’écran 2019-11-04 à 12.26.48.png
Capture d’écran 2019-11-04 à 12.26.48.png (34.78 KiB) Viewed 165 times


So, I tried something : compiling the Kernel from the GitHub Trinity-11/Kernel sources and replacing the IDE Kernel with this new one. And here is the result I expected :
Capture d’écran 2019-11-04 à 12.29.00.png
Capture d’écran 2019-11-04 à 12.29.00.png (20.07 KiB) Viewed 165 times
Then it seems, but maybe I could be wrong, there is a difference between the two kernels. It looks like that the Kernel provided in the IDE, at a point I don't know, gives info to the IDE to display the bitmap screen at something around 608x448 (like 16pixels borders width ?) Maybe it's not a bug in the IDE itself.

Update: note the black borders on the first picture, which do not appear in the second one.
User avatar
grenouye
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:57 pm
Location: Halifax, NS
Contact:

Re: Foenix IDE

Post by grenouye » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:46 am

Thanks for this detailed post.

The kernel that ships with the IDE has 76 columns by 56 lines (608 x 448).
The border X and Y sizes are set to 16. This was done to test new attributes in Vicky (border sizes), located at $AF:0008 and $AF:0009.
I'm not sure why this would affect the bitmap mode that you are using...

So, it looks like a bug to me as well. Could you share your "hex" file with me, such that I can do more testing?

Thanks!
frenchguy
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:45 am

Re: Foenix IDE

Post by frenchguy » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:57 am

grenouye wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:46 am
Thanks for this detailed post.

The kernel that ships with the IDE has 76 columns by 56 lines (608 x 448).
The border X and Y sizes are set to 16. This was done to test new attributes in Vicky (border sizes), located at $AF:0008 and $AF:0009.
I'm not sure why this would affect the bitmap mode that you are using...

So, it looks like a bug to me as well. Could you share your "hex" file with me, such that I can do more testing?

Thanks!
Ok then I understand now. Given your information it seems quite normal :
My computation are based on a 640x480 screen resolution, computing an address to light a pixel at (x,y) like 0xb0000 + (y*640)+x .Then when drawing those vertical lines, at every y, the pixels are shifted by 32 to the rigth because the screen is 608 width. Well, i guess...
I will add an initialisation of Vicky border sizes to 0.
User avatar
stef
Posts: 81
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am
Location: Somewhere in the Universe
Contact:

Re: Foenix IDE

Post by stef » Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:02 pm

frenchguy wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:57 am
grenouye wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:46 am
Thanks for this detailed post.

The kernel that ships with the IDE has 76 columns by 56 lines (608 x 448).
The border X and Y sizes are set to 16. This was done to test new attributes in Vicky (border sizes), located at $AF:0008 and $AF:0009.
I'm not sure why this would affect the bitmap mode that you are using...

So, it looks like a bug to me as well. Could you share your "hex" file with me, such that I can do more testing?

Thanks!
Ok then I understand now. Given your information it seems quite normal :
My computation are based on a 640x480 screen resolution, computing an address to light a pixel at (x,y) like 0xb0000 + (y*640)+x .Then when drawing those vertical lines, at every y, the pixels are shifted by 32 to the right because the screen is 608 width. Well, I guess...
I will add an initialization of Vicky border sizes to 0.
Keep in mind that the Text Mode and Bitmap works in different ways when it comes to where the first pixel or first character in reference to the Border.

In text mode, unless you have changed the scroll register, the Position 0,0 will always be outside the border. In other words, the thickness of the border dictates where the first character will show up.

Now, in bitmap mode, it is the opposite, the pixel 0,0 will always be at the top left corner. So if the border is on, then you will start seeing your pixel when you write @ (32 x 640 +32). Mind you, if you write pixels underneath the border and you turn off the border, the previously written pixel will show.
Hope this will help.

Regards,
S
Mistress of All Villainy
frenchguy
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:45 am

Re: Foenix IDE

Post by frenchguy » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:51 pm

Thanks all for the explanation!

Here is a video of my bitmap drawing test program running in the IDE. Next time I will create a new topic in the forum to show progress and to avoid polluting this topic about the IDE :D

User avatar
grenouye
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:57 pm
Location: Halifax, NS
Contact:

Re: Foenix IDE

Post by grenouye » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:20 am

This is totally awesome! Nice work! :D
frenchguy
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:45 am

Re: Foenix IDE

Post by frenchguy » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:13 am

Thanks :)
User avatar
gadget
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue May 28, 2019 8:55 pm

Re: Foenix IDE

Post by gadget » Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:30 am

I especially love the circle speed! Very nice!
User avatar
stef
Posts: 81
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am
Location: Somewhere in the Universe
Contact:

Re: Foenix IDE

Post by stef » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:38 am

gadget wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:30 am
I especially love the circle speed! Very nice!
Me too, I thought they were very fast!

S
Mistress of All Villainy
Post Reply