RevC1s Debug Thread

Description of your first forum.
techristian

Re: RevC1s Debug Thread

Post by techristian » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:08 pm

This last revision looks like a totally different animal.

Dan
nyxel

Post by nyxel » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:01 am

Greetings.

I'm a newcomer interested in backing the C256 Foenix project and a developer who grew up on C# (version 2.0 came out 14 years ago). Now, as a hobby, I want to take up Assembly or C and start assigning values to memory addresses instead of variables! I was hooked by the amount of music on this board. I've always enjoyed listening to video game music of the '80s and was going to pre-order this computer until I saw the picture of the RevCX board with the DIP sockets for dual SID removed (they were on RevC1s).

I understand if the plan was to only have those sockets removed after RevC1s in favor of a more integrated system with FPGA-based SIDs, and while I agree with that a smaller, more cost-friendly board would benefit from it, I absolutely need dual SID sockets on my dream computer. Consider looking at Gideon's Ultimate-64: They've implemented, as he writes, the entire C64 on an FPGA, yet the board has still got dual SID sockets!

I thought I would raise my voice on this matter because I love the discrete-chip solution of this project just as much as it being the best new-retro computer for getting into true synth.
stef

Post by stef » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:14 am

nyxel wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:01 am
Greetings.

I'm a newcomer interested in backing the C256 Foenix project and a developer who grew up on C# (version 2.0 came out 14 years ago). Now, as a hobby, I want to take up Assembly or C and start assigning values to memory addresses instead of variables! I was hooked by the amount of music on this board. I've always enjoyed listening to video game music of the '80s and was going to pre-order this computer until I saw the picture of the RevCX board with the DIP sockets for dual SID removed (they were on RevC1s).

I understand if the plan was to only have those sockets removed after RevC1s in favor of a more integrated system with FPGA-based SIDs, and while I agree with that a smaller, more cost-friendly board would benefit from it, I absolutely need dual SID sockets on my dream computer. Consider looking at Gideon's Ultimate-64: They've implemented, as he writes, the entire C64 on an FPGA, yet the board has still got dual SID sockets!

I thought I would raise my voice on this matter because I love the discrete-chip solution of this project just as much as it being the best new-retro computer for getting into true synth.
Nyxel,

You only saw one part of the board. Now that the revision CX is back to be what it should have been, I don't know if you have noticed that there is an extra connector on the board now...

Let me show you what the full C256 FOENIX FMX really is... Behold:
C256Foenix_FMX_Complete_45%.jpg
This is the C256 Foenix RevCX with the FMX Board.
C256Foenix_FMX_Complete_45%.jpg (488.34 KiB) Viewed 46 times
Now, the board itself includes the following:
2x SID Socket
1x OPN2 (YM2612)
1x PSG (SN76489)
1x OPM (YM2151) For good measure...

Now, when it is incorporated with the main board you will have that:
1x OPL3 (FM - Operator Type L) Third Gen (18 Channels)
1x OPN2 (FM - Operator Type N) Second Gen (6 Channels)
1x OPM (FM - Operator Type M) First Gen (8 Channels)
1x SN76489 (Sound Generator Square Wave) (4 Channels, 3 Square/1 Noise)
2x Real SID Socket (ArmSID/SwinSID/FPGASID Compatible) There might be some height issues. (6 Channels Total)
1x Internal Foenix SID (TBD)
1x CODEC DAC @ 16Bits/32Khz (with 1Meg of Buffer)

So, is it your dream computer now?

;)

Cheers
Stefany
Mistress of All Villainy
stef

Post by stef » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:17 am

Here is what the board itself will look like:
FMX_Audio_ExpansionBoard_SERA_A2.jpg
This the first FMX Board for the C256 Foenix RevCX - this is the "Sera" Board
FMX_Audio_ExpansionBoard_SERA_A2.jpg (223.99 KiB) Viewed 44 times
Mistress of All Villainy
nyxel

Post by nyxel » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:31 am

Stefanie,

Oh my gosh. It even says FMX Sound Card Expansion on there! I know a lot of people will drool over the last picture. That daughterboard, being in such a prominent position, is going to attract people's attention when first looking at the system.
stef

Post by stef » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:50 am

nyxel wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:31 am
Stefanie,

Oh my gosh. It even says FMX Sound Card Expansion on there! I know a lot of people will drool over the last picture. That daughterboard, being in such a prominent position, is going to attract people's attention when first looking at the system.
Nyxel,

I am glad you like it...

Cheers

Stefany
Mistress of All Villainy