Fraggy: Frogger-Like Game on the Foenix IDE

Description of your first forum.
grenouye

Fraggy: Frogger-Like Game on the Foenix IDE

Post by grenouye » Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:37 am

Here's a look of a mini-game I've been working on. This picture is obviously on the Foenix IDE, version 0.2.4.6.
fraggy.png
fraggy.png (124.83 KiB) Viewed 247 times
The IDE has trouble with sprites in the border at this time. This will be fixed in a later version.

The game uses 16 sprites (some duplicated) and 7 tiles. No background music yet.
Collisions are pretty simple to compute here and this works fine.
Fraggy is also able to hop on a log or lily pad, because she can't swim...
gadget

Re: Fraggy: Frogger-Like Game on the Foenix IDE

Post by gadget » Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:44 am

Very fun!!! Also, now I'll know to pester you for sprites! : ).
grenouye

Post by grenouye » Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:26 pm

Building the game made me see the machine up-close and personal.

I'm trying to figure out a nice way to share what I've learnt. For example, building the tiles and sprites was not terribly difficult with The Gimp, but figuring out how to export them such that they could be easily loaded in the Foenix was a frustrating experience. E.g. Remove the Alpha channel, use a colour palette and make sure that black is the first colour in the palette.
Export to BGRX... etc.

Now, another thing I did with this game, is that I only have a single bitmap file. My tiles and sprites are using the same data file. I used a 256x256 bitmap. I have tiles at the top, for 2 rows, or 32 pixel high. Then I have the sprites, which are 32x32 high. I had to write a special function to read this data into sprites. So this made it possible to have multiple sprites that use the same bitmap, without the code size going too large.

The code is located here: https://github.com/dtremblay/fraggy
stef

Post by stef » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:42 am

grenouye wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:26 pm
Building the game made me see the machine up-close and personal.

I'm trying to figure out a nice way to share what I've learnt. For example, building the tiles and sprites was not terribly difficult with The Gimp, but figuring out how to export them such that they could be easily loaded in the Foenix was a frustrating experience. E.g. Remove the Alpha channel, use a colour palette and make sure that black is the first colour in the palette.
Export to BGRX... etc.

Now, another thing I did with this game, is that I only have a single bitmap file. My tiles and sprites are using the same data file. I used a 256x256 bitmap. I have tiles at the top, for 2 rows, or 32 pixel high. Then I have the sprites, which are 32x32 high. I had to write a special function to read this data into sprites. So this made it possible to have multiple sprites that use the same bitmap, without the code size going too large.

The code is located here: https://github.com/dtremblay/fraggy
Dan,

there is a far simpler way to export from GIMP...

Setup the dimension of what you are going to design, then setup the color mode to be Indexed. Then when you are done, you just export in RAW. It will generate 2 Binary files. One for the Bitmap and the other for the LUT. And you just load the LUT as is.

I struggled too, a lot, in the past... After I discovered that, my God things became so much easier... I would also recommend Aseprite to create the graphic in the first place. Probable more intuitive than Gimp to do Pixel Art stuff...

Stef
Mistress of All Villainy