Ideas on Promoting Foenix

Description of your first forum.
robt

Ideas on Promoting Foenix

Post by robt » Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:50 am

ok. I am sure everyone has ideas, so here's mine. Two things i think would be really key to making this project a success.

1) A "well curated" index site of user submitted software. Most of these modern day retro sites have some really cool user submissions but it's hard to find them without search.
Submit your software/git repo to a site, user reviews, feedback, category, browsing...

2) Internet connection. Stefani alluded to this as a possible in the latest YouTube video. To me, this would be a game changer. Use an ESP32 on the expansion card and save re-writing a whole IP stack...just use it as a proxy. Email on a C256 and/or a Web browser would make the whole system head and shoulders more useful to most of us than a C64 or any of the recent crop of retro devices.
stef

Re: Ideas on Promoting Foenix

Post by stef » Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:14 pm

robt wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:50 am
ok. I am sure everyone has ideas, so here's mine. Two things i think would be really key to making this project a success.

1) A "well curated" index site of user submitted software. Most of these modern day retro sites have some really cool user submissions but it's hard to find them without search.
Submit your software/git repo to a site, user reviews, feedback, category, browsing...

2) Internet connection. Stefani alluded to this as a possible in the latest YouTube video. To me, this would be a game-changer. Use an ESP32 on the expansion card and save re-writing a whole IP stack...just use it as a proxy. Email on a C256 and/or a Web browser would make the whole system head and shoulders more useful to most of us than a C64 or any of the recent crop of retro devices.

Thanks for your post robt.

I agree with your first bullet point. This is something I am really looking forward to doing it in the future when contents become available for the platform.

as the second point, I alluded to the idea that I might do an expansion card with an Ethernet controller on it. Somebody already offered to do the IP Stack for it... I am not a fan of the idea of plugging an ESP32 to the Foenix considering that you can actually buy a DB9 RS-232 to Wifi which would allow you to do all these things...

The network controller for me would be excited to allow multiplayer game, this is the only case I would see a use for it. Obviously it could be used for BBSs. But again, anything that links the Foenix to any 2020 technology is something I am trying to avoid, this is supposed to be a retro platform to bring us back to a point where anything is possible, not to bring a retro platform to fit the standards of 2020, otherwise, the whole idea of creating that platform is moot. if you want emails and webpage, your phone ought to suffice... But this is my philosophical opinion about it.

A retro device is supposed to be retro...

Cheers
Stefany
Mistress of All Villainy
PJW

Post by PJW » Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:14 pm

stef wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:14 pm
The network controller for me would be excited to allow multiplayer game, this is the only case I would see a use for it.
8/16-bit World of Warcraft would be tempting:

(from a Blizzard April Fool's post)
Matej

Post by Matej » Sat May 09, 2020 9:29 am

Will post on:
Chipmusic.org
Pouet.net
Atariage.com
And another 8bit forums...
etc etc