Thank you

Description of your first forum.
bromleysteve

Thank you

Post by bromleysteve » Mon May 04, 2020 1:59 pm

Well let me start by saying thank you. I was involved with a couple OS projects that ended ugly. 4 game projects, 2 ended ugly and 2 people just kinda wandered off. Jezzz, then the low/no budget movie and animation projects. All projects like that seem to need to be started by some one with a vision and a dream. That dream does seem to be what starts and ends so many projects. The whole flood of 8 bit systems managed to achieve critical mass, but were lacking in memory, screen rez and to an extent speed. The systems that replaced them took huge steps to solve those problems but took major turns in other directions. I thought your project hit that spot, between the 8 bit systems and the Amiga, just about right. But the real world sucks in many ways. When you let others touch your dreams, they change and some of the magic goes away. For a living I build production machinery, so end up working with a lot of inventors. They have their hart, soul, time, money and dreams in a product or idea. Way to often at some point in the project there comes a point where there are compromises that sell out the dream or the public has other ideas that tarnish what you held dear to the dream. The world is harsh that way. It always seems to be painful when dreams clash with reality. On the other hand, dreams are what bring magic to the world. I totally understand your needing to step back after holding out your dream and watching it get damaged and kicked. I totally understand the feeling that it's time for some one else to take their turn in the barrel.

I would like to say thank you for bring a bit of magic into the world and sharing a bit of your dream. The early computers felt like magic, the newer ones feel like tools. Would like to thank you for the chance to play with a bit of the magic again.
stef

Re: Thank you

Post by stef » Tue May 05, 2020 7:46 am

bromleysteve wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 1:59 pm
Well, let me start by saying thank you. I was involved with a couple of OS projects that ended ugly. 4 game projects, 2 ended ugly and 2 people just kinda wandered off. Jezzz, then the low/no budget movie and animation projects. All projects like that seem to need to be started by someone with a vision and a dream. That dream does seem to be what starts and ends so many projects. The whole flood of 8 bit systems managed to achieve critical mass, but was lacking in memory, screen rez and to an extent speed. The systems that replaced them took huge steps to solve those problems but took major turns in other directions. I thought your project hit that spot, between the 8 bit systems and the Amiga, just about right. But the real world sucks in many ways. When you let others touch your dreams, they change and some of the magic goes away. For a living, I build production machinery, so I end up working with a lot of inventors. They have their heart, soul, time, money, and dreams in a product or idea. Way too often at some point in the project there comes a point where there are compromises that sell out the dream or the public has other ideas that tarnish what you held dear to the dream. The world is harsh that way. It always seems to be painful when dreams clash with reality. On the other hand, dreams are what bring magic to the world. I totally understand your need to step back after holding out your dream and watching it get damaged and kicked. I totally understand the feeling that it's time for someone else to take their turn in the barrel.

I would like to say thank you for bringing a bit of magic into the world and sharing a bit of your dream. The early computers felt like magic, the newer ones feel like tools. I would like to thank you for the chance to play with a bit of magic again.
Hey Steve,
Thanks a lot for your kind words, I really appreciate it.
Yeah, unfortunately, I lived through these dreams crushed situations too many times as well and yet I find myself doing it over and over again. I guess we don't really change that much over time and maybe this is what this thing is all about... I mean if all dreams were coming true then it would not be much fun, would it? ;o)

On a different topic, you are mentioning that you have work on movies before and animation, we will have to talk one day... I did some when I was in Hollywood and I was thinking of making another short or a Pilot or something at some point... Anyway, always fun to come across move making people!

Cheers!

S
Mistress of All Villainy
immortalx

Re: Thank you

Post by immortalx » Tue May 05, 2020 8:35 am

That's very sad news.

I've had this conversation with my 20ish yo son many a time. It was about how talented people, nice products or fantastic ideas, sometimes aren't enough.
I've cited the Amiga history as an example, which lost the chance to become the dominant platform.
It seems that these days people are sold when bombarded with social media notifications, fancy and lengthy YouTube videos with little content, and "We at Foenix" instead of plain "Stefany" messages.

I've been silently following this project since the beginning, having nothing to contribute with my limited knowledge, but I was hoping that it would eventually become easier to program. I know that some people experimented writing in C and I was expecting that sooner or later tutorials about it would pop-up and let me dive in myself.

I'm in no position to criticize but if Stefany wants some feedback about the situation, here's my 2 cents:
  • The project definitely needed more advertising and communication. Not for the majority of members here, but for this generation of people I stated above. My gut tells me that Stef is not the kind of person who likes to bullsh1t, and prefers working on the actual problem, so someone else should possibly handle all the "blah blah" stuff.
  • I understand it was necessary to have that many revisions to fix hardware errors, but IMHO it became even harder when the specs changed so much from the original. Feedback is good and all, but I believe that sticking to the original plan would have made the road smoother.
  • The goal from day 0 should have been to make it easier to program. I'm not talking about the BASIC part (which is of course nice to have and a standard for a computer of that era), neither about assembly (again, some low-level programs and advanced games have to be written in it). I'm very fond of the people who can write in assembly, but there are only a handful of them these days. I think I've posted this before, but a very nice open-source console called uzebox, managed to attract a ton of people by making it easy to program with a C library. If I'm not mistaken there have been about a 100 games written for it! So, an easier path to write nice games for the platform could have possibly produced more content by now
Stef, I think you should re-think about abandoning the project. It would be a pity for so much hard work to go to the bin.